Tuesday 28 July 2015

The Diary Of A Teenage Girl Review

Hello little critters, 

I just got home from Secret Garden Party and saw that it had been a little while since I posted so I'm not going to waffle on with my festival adventures as it will make me sad that I'm back in grey London.. I'm cracking on with a film review instead- enjoy! 

So, last week I was lucky enough to be invited to a screening of The Diary Of A Teenage Girl, directed by Marielle Heller. I'm going to tell all right here! 





First things first, please don't read the title and roll your eyes. It's a really bad title. It makes it seem like one of those throw away chick flicks you'd pick up in the bargain box of your local Cex. So ignore the title and have a little faith.

It's set in 1970's San Fran and from the opening scene you'll see that the set design and wardrobe is absolutely flawless. The grade is ever so subtle but lands you straight into the smokey swirl of the 70's. Think big flares, platforms and roll necks to die for-Minnie is your lead character and will blow your mind. She's played by Bel Powley who I was unfamiliar with but she's incredible and a new talent to keep your eyes peeled for. Minne-is your average teenager, she lives with her wild Mother (Kritsten Wiig- big fan) who's partying and drug taking are seen as normal daily life to her forgiving daughters but as the film progresses you see how much of a knock on effect her attitude towards sex, drugs and men have on her eldest daughter.

Minnie craves love and affection but it comes in a surprising form and life gets interesting when Minnie and her Mothers boyfriend, Monroe start sleeping together. What struck me is that although Monroe's actions are paedophilic he's not seen as the enemy, he's actually quite dare I say it, sweet. I thought it was such a brave move to portray a character in this way. There toxic relationship is Minnie's first sexual encounter and she's convinced they're in love, his needy behaviour boosts her ego and their secret becomes deeper than either of them expected.

As the affair gets more involved Minnie records her unravelling feelings into a tape recorder, hidden away in her poster covered bedroom. Her sexual awakening begins to take over her life, leading her to vulnerable, chaotic situations that begin to consume her thoughts.

Throughout the film, you're told of Minnie's love for art, she's a passionate illustrator and the scenes are lit up with intimate designs and comic strip animations. My favourite scene showing this was when Monroe and Minnie take acid for the first time, she's hits a high and her illustrations show wings as she hallucinates that she's flying. Her outstretched hands covered with feathers is so beautifully captured.

Her discovery and confessions are tied in a neat narrative yet I still couldn't predict the ending which was refreshing and kept me hooked. The self discovery through an older man puts a wise head on young shoulders however you're still left empathising with her naive thoughts.

This coming of age film is definitely a lot darker than most, I can imagine reviews criticising the idealisation of underage sex and drug use, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting but it was fantastic, an indie film with so much bite. I heard a girl say it's the new, darker 'Frances Ha' and I couldn't agree more. 

Let me know what your thoughts are if you've seen it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment